Monday, March 16, 2009

Where to Start....

It seems like forever since I last wrote...feels like a lot has happened.

I'll start with Peanut's meet yesterday. As I wrote in my last post, yesterday was the State Gymnastics Meet for the level 6 girls. Believe me when I say level 6 is TOUGH! We were warned right at the start (last spring) that it would be so. I guess I didn't really believe it. Well, it was ALL THAT and more. Peanut had an OK year, everything considered. Being sick for over two weeks several weeks ago did not help. Plus, she's developed a slight problem with her back walkover on the beam--she has a tendency to fall off during competition! Yeah, not so great.

Gymnastics is such a mental sport--it can really play games with your head (as so many other sports do--believe me, I'm the queen of mental when it comes to triathlon pre-race jitters). She looked so good in warm-ups--stuck every tough element. But, alas, she fell off the beam--when she got up and did it again, it was great. The rest of the routine was really good, but falling is a big deduction.

Her floor routine was really good--except she fell again on her front tuck. OUCH! The rest of the routine was really good, again, but that fall.......big deduction.

So in the end, she placed on both the vault and bars, nothing on beam, floor or all around. She, of course, was perfectly OK with her effort. It's so hard to be a mom, though, and watch your little girl struggle. She works so hard, really loves this crazy sport, and SOOOO has her head together. Mom, not so much. It was a really hard night for me. And it didn't help that awards weren't until 9:00. As many know, I AM NOT A NIGHT PERSON!

Anyway, the bottom line is that we had two all round champions, and at least one individual event winner (not sure because there were earlier sessions!). The combined team finished third, which is really good--except that we won first place the last two years. I think the coaches may have been a little disappointed. But, as I hear so often in this sport, 'IT IS WHAT IT IS'. The judging is very subjective, and did I mention VERY POLITICAL! The team that finished first is coached by one of our old coaches, so we were VERY happy for him and his girls. Anyway, enough of that. We can now relax for a while, and concentrate on the skills to compete at level 7 next year. Hopefully, that back walkover will correct itself over the summer!

As for me--what a mess I am. The warmer weather is nice, but until it actually stays that way, I'm still hurtin' a lot. I still can't control my weight--and to be honest, while I've really been watching my calories, they're not always the best choices. So, I start a new once again.

I've been trying to stick to my training plan, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be doing the half iron tri in June. I'm hoping to run outside tomorrow after a ride inside. It's supposed to be nice, and my leg is feeling really good. Maybe running off the treadmill will be better. I only have to run 30 minutes, so I may go to one of the paths near home and try. Even if I walk a lot, it will be a start.

Things are still really tough on the financial front. J is still looking for a part-time job. The two he had are pretty much dead in the water now. He had one interview at a local hotel last week, but hasn't heard back yet. I've applied on-line for a couple part-time jobs, but also have not heard anything.

R-man is doing great. School is going well--at least his grades are exemplary, even if he claims to not like it. He wishes he could get a job. I told him to wait a year or two, then he can work as long as he likes. Next fall he takes driver's ed--he's not in a hurry at all to drive, though. I'm a little worried about him behind the wheel. He's very bright, but not always aware of the world around him--not so good when driving a car.

I'm writing this late--11:15 a.m. I got up at 5:30 to take R-man to school, did some stuff around the house, then went back to bed until 10:00. I can't remember the last time I did that. I didn't get to bed until 1:00 a.m., and I was physically and emotionally drained. Peanut just woke up (ah, the beauty of homeschool), and I only have to swim, so it's going to be a laid back kind of day.

Congratulations to all who participated (Waddler, Trisharkie, Snipes) and volunteered (Snoopy, Moose, Kurt & Dan) at the LTF indoor triathlon. Sounds like you all had a great time. Hope to see you all soon!

Praying that everyone has a great week and enjoys the 'warmer' weather.

Until next time--take care and God bless!

1 comment:

IronWaddler said...

Spring will really be here soon. Can't wait.

Level 7 was our favorite and most fun. Finally some originality.