Monday, May 18, 2009

Mixed Bag Weekend

Ups and downs of the weekend:

Thursday p.m. as I was taking my son to the allergists, by wonderful (ha!) car decided to die. If you remember, we just spent $1900 in March having the transmission rebuilt--for the third or fourth time, I've lost count. As I write this, it is still in the shop, and while they claim it is not the transmission (I don't believe them), they don't know yet what is wrong. Maybe the fact that it is a 1996 CHRYSLER (yuk!) with over 191,000 miles on it is the real problem. I would love to buy a new/used Honda, but financially that is out of the question.

R-man participated in a 30-hour fast beginning on Friday after breakfast until 1:00 p.m. Saturday. He spent the night at church with the youth group and DID NOT SLEEP AT ALL! He was crabby, tired, and nasty when he came home. I forced him into the shower--I wanted to do one last load of clothes that day. As the dryer started, I heard a thumping noise. I checked it out but couldn't find a problem. A while later, my husband informed me that the noise was R-man's PHONE! YIKES! He left it in his jeans pocket! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE TOLD HIM TO ALWAYS CHECK HIS POCKETS BEFORE PUTTING HIS JEANS IN THE WASH? Maybe now he will remember?!

Well, he was really tired, and I feel a little bit (but not too) responsible for the damage to the phone. I probably should have checked, but.... J went on line hoping to salvage it. It works--but the battery is dead and the screen is kind of weird and hard to read. We ordered a new battery, and I guess he'll just have to live with it as is--to replace it is about $300 dollars. Needless to say, that is not going to happen!

I don't know if I mentioned it here or only on facebook, but J found a part-time job at the Burr Ridge Marriott, doing exactly what he was doing at his previous Marriott job. He took a drug test last week, and as soon as the results are in, he will be put on the schedule. Yeah, what a great answer to prayer!

I actually rode outside three times this week. Tuesday was a great day--rode for about 1.5 hours. I was due to ride Friday, but the all-day rain nixed that. So I rode on Saturday for another 1.5 hours. WINDY--typical May weather for this time of year. Cool, but not so much that it bothered me. I was still able to wear shorts.

Sunday I rode later in the day--after church and lunch--about 12:30. I was due for a 2.5 hour ride, and to be honest, I was really tired when I started. I did manage to ride about 43 miles, alone, without too much traffic problems, but still the wind was a factor. I followed the ride with a 2.5 mile run. The run actually felt better than the ride. It was perfect weather for running.

So, other than not knowing what is wrong with my car, how much it will cost, and if we have the money to fix it, it wasn't such a bad week. Peanut has about 5 days left of school. She's already finished three subjects, so that makes my life a little easier.

The more I evaluate our finances, the less chance I have of much racing this year. I think the half-iron distance in WI in June is pretty much out. Maybe a couple local sprints and olympic races, with one half in August/September is the new goal.

Congratulations to all who raced this weekend--in Galena, Memphis and Orlando. It's still too cold for me to consider racing outside, but good for all of you who participated.

This week is a recovery week--YEAH! I did a short, easy swim this a.m. just to loosen up. It felt good. The weather forecast looks fantastic, so I may ride a little more than required, just because....

Oh, and the prescription goggles are working pretty good. I haven't worn my contacts in over a week, and my eyes feel much better. It's different swimming with smaller goggles and carrying my glasses around the pool and locker room, but it's well worth it.

Hope everyone has a great week! Until next time--God bless!

No comments: