Monday, January 5, 2009

Facing the Giants....and a New Year

Saturday when I was riding on my trainer, I watched a movie I had recorded the night before, "Facing the Giants". I had seen the movie before, and I remembered I really liked it. I didn't have much at home to watch the next morning during my ride, so I decided to record it and watch again.

If you haven't seen or heard of this movie, it is a very inspirational, faith-based film. It is the story of a high school football coach who is in his 6th losing seaspm at a Christian high school. The staff and parents have lost faith in his ability to be a winning coach. The team has no confidence in their own abilities as football players. Financially, he and his wife are struggling. They've been trying to start a family for four years with no success, and he discovers he is the reason they can't conceive.

There is a second story in the film that involves a new student. His sport is soccer, but the school does not have a soccer team. His father, who is confined to a wheel chair, convinces him to try out for the team as a kicker. He has never kicked a football, but decides to try anyway. He's too small to play football. In a conversation with his father, his father shares that he has been praying all his son's life that God would use him for big things. He asks his Dad, "If God has such big plans for me, why did he make me so small and weak?" Dad answers, "To show others how big He (God) is!"

If you are not a person of faith, you may not understand the significance of this statement. It hit home for me. I know intellectually that God is in ultimate control of my life. I am a Christ-follower, and know that my purpose on this earth is to glorify Him, and do His will. But it is soooo easy to be discouraged in the world we live in. Our world teaches that TODAY is what's important; go for what you can get in this world. Success is measured my what we do, how much we have, what others think of us, what we accomplish. I know that my success is measured by how I follow God's plan for my life.

So, that is the sermon for the week. If you're interested, it is an amazing movie. I won't give away the ending, but suffice to say things work out. I believe God intervenes in a miraculous way. There is a revival in the school, which I feel is the most amazing story. It was great to watch the film at the beginning of a new year. It has helped me confirm what is really important in my life, and help me set some goals for the new year.

I have made several "resolutions" for this year. I won't share most of them. The one I will share is that I'm going to try to be kinder to myself this year. I'm going to try not to beat myself up so much regarding my weight and appearance. I will do the best I can, with the Lord's help, and I'll be satisfied with whatever happens.

As far as racing this year, I'm still not sure how much I will do. My "A" race, as I've said before, will be the Redman Halfmax 1/2 Iron Distance in Oklahoma City on September 19th. I'm going to train for a 1/2 Iron in Appleton, WI on June 20th. Not sure if that will happen, mainly do to financial issues. Hopefully I will get in a couple local sprint/olympic races, and I would like to do one other 70.3 (maybe Steelhead?).

Physically, I'm a little beat up. January in Chicago is the number one reason--cold and snow. In addition to winter issues, I've injured my left adductor (aka groin) somehow. Probably running a couple weeks ago. It doesn't hurt to swim or ride, but it does hurt to walk, so I haven't run for almost two weeks. I should rest it completely for a couple days to see if that helps. I don't believe riding and swimming is making it worse, but it's not getting better either. I think my RA is a contributing factor. I've never had this injury before (at least, not that I can remember!).

Training will start in earnest February 2nd, which for me means cutting back. I need a plan to follow so I don't overdo it. My main goal from now until then is to improve my eating habits and let my leg heal.

My sleeping has been really bad--thanks to menopause/hot flashes/night sweats. I can track my current hot flashes to about every 30 minutes, day and night! YUK! It's really become a terrible nuisance. I don't know how women survive this. I'm not dealing well. Having a hot flash in the pool, while riding, running or doing other exercise is unbelievable! It's bad enough when you're sitting at the computer blogging--like right now!

Last week I trained about 15 hours. No running, but a couple long swims and bike rides. I did my strength work at home, not at the fitness center--too crazy busy there during the day during the holidays, and why get up at the crack of dawn when I really don't have to? I would like to keep the hours at around 14--average 2 hours per day.

For the first time ever, I tracked my workouts for the entire year. According to my best calculations, I: swam 453,450 meters (281.76 miles); cycled 5,644 miles; ran 936 miles; for a total of 903 hours (including strength training). This averages about 2.47 hours per day for 365 days. I don't really know what this means, or if anyone really cares!

Today is kind of back to normal. However, my wonderful 13 year old, 190,000 mile car decided to stop working yesterday. It died when J and Peanut were on their way to church. I knew there was a problem, so R-man and I took the "newer" car to church. It's some kind of voltage thing. We brought it to the shop this a.m. Please God, don't let it be too expensive to fix!

So J (hubby) is working from home, I dropped R-man off at school early (he was happy to get back, not because he loves school, but because he was bored!), and Peanut has started her school work. I'm going to try to do an easy, short bike and swim today. My leg is still sore!

J and Peanut leave for Miami on Thursday. FYI--temperature in Miami today and tomorrow--81 and 82 degrees! Wish you were coming with us, Mom!

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year.

Until next time--God bless!

1 comment:

IronSnoopy said...

Yes, be nice(r) to yourself this year. :) You're an amazing athlete.

Sorry to hear about the car -- I hope it's nothing too bad. 190K is quite a few miles.

Good luck to Peanut in Miami!