Saturday, February 7, 2009

Another Discouraging Week

Another tough week. As you know if you read my last post, I was very discouraged with my one pound weight loss after working very hard and eating very right. So, this week I decided to buckle down even more, work even harder and try to eat even less. Can you say BACKFIRE!?

I spoke with my favorite personal trainer last week and told her about my one pound loss in three weeks. Her response, as usual, was that I need to eat more! I just don't get it. She really believes that I am freaky different (in a good way!?) than NORMAL people. I know that what she (and several other people have told me) is probably right, but I just can't get my head around the fact that I need to eat more and work out less to lose weight. It just doesn't make sense to me.

So, this week I tried to eat a little bit more, but continued to work out hard. So far this week I have: swam four times for 5,700 meters; biked four times for 125 miles; spent 258 minutes doing strength/stretch/core work; rowed on the rowing machine twice for 1:38--17,000 meters; and worked on the Arc trainer for 17 minutes. I still can't run, although my leg feels like it's getting better, and I'm going nuts, so I tried rowing and the ARC trainer. They're fun and good workouts, but not the same as running. Total so far is 17 hours and 19 minutes, and I've burned 6,842 calories during workouts. And oh yeah, I weighed myself this morning: I GAINED 2.8 POUNDS SINCE LAST SATURDAY! How is this even possible? My family watches me eat, exercise and be so disciplined. I don't eat what they eat. I won't go out to eat. I eat only stuff from home that I buy that is 99% healthy. This is insane and so discouraging. Basically, I've gained about 4 pounds since I started this plan. CAN YOU SAY--NOT WORKING?

So I have to decide how to proceed. Obviously what I'm doing is not working. Should I decrease my workouts and increase my calories in relation to the workouts? Hmmmmm? Maybe? I just don't know if I can do it. I go to sleep thinking "tomorrow I'll take it easy". But then my body takes over and I think if I don't work for 2.5 to 3.5 hours, I'll gain weight. But then I think, I'm gaining weight anyway so maybe I should just take it easy. I have this big Catch-22 going on in my head. YIKES! I'm really disciplined--can I discipline myself to take it easy? That's the million dollar question!

Other than that, life is pretty hard right now. We're struggling and trying to keep our heads above water financially. I can't afford to buy new clothes--I have to be able to fit in the ones I have, which I can't do right now.

The mild weather is good for my body, although the change is not. I just wish it was here to stay, but we all know that more of the nasty stuff is on the way.

Well, I hope everyone else has a better story.

Until next time--God bless!

1 comment:

Irene said...

Don't give up! If you're just starting a new/different weight training or exercise program and a new nutrition plan it might take your body a while to get used to it, especially if you don't have a lot of weight to lose. Your metabolism hasn't caught up to your head yet! Your head is saying "yeah, I put in all the hard work, when it it going to pay off?" But your metabolism is saying "not yet." Stick with it. Everything will fall into place. People who have the most successful and healthy weight loss did everything gradually, and are more likely to keep the weight off for the long term.