Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Calm After the Very Wet Storm

All you who live in the Chicagoland area know that this was a very wet weekend. We set records for the amount of rain that fell from Friday through Monday. There are still people in Indiana without power, and many of the roads in and around our suburbs are flooded. One school district closed yesterday due to street flooding.

Thank goodness only a few flooded basements. Not us. Those of you who are flooded, I feel for you. Ours flooded in January when we had an unusual amount of rainfall for that time of year and our 10 year old sump pump decided to stop working.

Anyway...spent all weekend indoors training. I know I may be a little unusual, but I really don't mind running on the treadmill. I do it a lot in the winter for several reasons: I usually run pretty early, and it's dark outside. I'm limited by time, so it's quickest to do all my stuff in one place (at the fitness center). I need to run on a soft surface as often as possible. In the summer, the paths are great, but when it's cold, they're too hard. And did I say that in my old age I hate running in the cold? (Cold usually means under 40 degrees--I know, I'm a wimp!)

I did give in and put my bike on the trainer for a 2:20 ride on Sunday. It wasn't too bad. I was watching an interesting DVD that made the time fly by. I rode in the afternoon, so I didn't get to swim after. That always means I'm a little sore/stiff the next day. Had a good swim on Monday and two soaks in the hot tub--felt much better.

Today I ran on the treadmill again. Short on time, so no swim. Stiff again! Drat--need to make time for a short swim every day!

Went to see my rheumatologist today. Her arm was in a sling. She tore her biceps tendon--OUCH! After 4 months, she decided she needed to have it surgically repaired. She's miserable, and not sure the surgery was worth the pain. It's only been 2.5 weeks. She calls physical therapy "torture".

Needless to say, she really didn't feel very sorry for me when I told her my Louisville story. While she admires what I'm able to do, she thinks an ironman borders on true insanity. She made a point of telling me that she knows NO ONE who could even swim 2.4 miles in a river. And ride 112 miles on a bike--do people really do that? She thinks it's incredible that I do what I do with my disease and at my age. It was good to see her, and gave me an even better perspective of how blessed I am. She injured her knee pretty bad about two years ago, so in some ways she's worse off than I am. Again, thank you God!

Nothing else really exciting happening in my life. Except that I spoke with my friend who lives in Austin, TX--she's incredible! Her first ironman will be in Florida in November and I know she will ROCK! You go, girl! I LUV U!

The weather should be nice here the rest of the week. My knee is still a little sore, but for now I'm just going to deal with it. Maybe when my daughter is done with her P.T., I'll have it looked at. I'm hoping to ride and run outside this weekend. Probably one more inside run on the treadmill and bike on the trainer until then.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Until next time--God bless!

No comments: