Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Feels Like Hump Day

It's been a long time (15 years?) since I worked full-time and remember Wednesday being called "hump day". But as I was sitting here trying to think of a catchy title, it's the first thing that came to mind.

I felt tired and shaky after today's training. It started out innocent enough. Good sleep, house cleaning and other household stuff early, drive Peanut to the gym. I switched my schedule so today was a two hour bike and a 1150 meter recovery swim. (Tomorrow will be a 60 minute run, which I plan to do inside on the treadmill, along with some strength training and the swim I was supposed to do today.)

It was a great day for a ride. Cool (80's), just a little breezy, and I was able to ride my normal hilly route. Did 35 miles. I don't think I ate enough before or during the ride. I went right to the fitness center, did some core/stretching, and swam a continuous 1500 meters. Didn't feel like doing the 1150 workout that was scheduled.

I felt weird when I was done. I knew I needed to eat ASAP. I brought food with me, so I showered quickly and ate as soon as I got to the car. Felt much better after my healthy PBJ sandwich, banana and nectarine.

My legs still felt shaky at home, so I made a good salad. Also had a small bowl of low-fat ice cream--YUM!

I sit here now eating a mini bad of popcorn--the bad stuff. All the healthy popcorn tastes like cardboard and isn't worth the calories, even though there's no fat.

Maybe I'm just a little tired/burned out. Also, I've been upset about the way I look again. I really did try hard to lose weight in the off season, but it just didn't happen. (Really long, boring, unbelievable story!) I keep telling myself that when this IM is over, I will be 15 lbs. lighter by next race season. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, because nothing I tried in the last 18 months worked, but I really need to find a way to do it.

For now, I'm just going to concentrate on Louisville and the remainder of my training. Hopefully, I can get through this and have a fresh perspective on everything starting September.

I have so much to be thankful/grateful for, that this weight issue seems very petty. I'm going to try to deal with it the best I can. A good sleep, and maybe not feeling hungry all the time will help. Is it normal to be hungry all the time when training for an ironman? Right now I'm not sure about anything. I think I need to sleep on it, and tomorrow will be a better day, right?

Hope everyone had a good day.

Until next time--God bless!

3 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Could be just pre-race burn-out blues. I get those. Hang in there-you are almost there!

Michelle said...

I've never trained for an Ironman but I imagine you're burning a lot of calories so hunger seems natural. You could try tracking your calories burned to see what it turns out to be in a week and compare that to calories eating and your resting metabolic rate. Or just eat more :)

Michelle said...

After getting your email I like my last piece of advice...eat more! :)