Friday, August 8, 2008

Remember Recovery

I needed to remind myself several times this morning that this is the end of a recovery week, to be followed by three weeks of tapering before the race.

Today I swam a good (not hard/not easy) 3000 meters. Other than the water being too warm, it was a nice day. The first 1500 I swam inside, it was so warm, I decided to check out the outside pool. A little cooler, and it always feels so good to be outside!

Yesterday I had great strength training session (1:20), then a 6 mile run on the treadmill, followed by a wonderful, delightful, awesome 2000 meter swim. The workout called for 1000 m, which I did, but then I felt so good I did another easy 1000. I swam outside, the water was cooler than normal (i.e., not as hot), it was beautiful weather and it was quiet, not too many kids. I really love to swim. It makes me feel so good.

My dad still tells the story of when I was about 4 years old and he threw me in the pool for the first time. He claims I started swimming immediately. I don't know about that, but I can't remember a time I didn't love or know how to swim.

I heard from my friend Snoopy yesterday that tomorrow will be either a 50 or 70 mile bike ride. I was so excited and looking forward to riding with the group. But then it hit me--I'm in a RECOVERY WEEK and I'm only supposed to ride for 90 minutes. YIKES! What to do? When I woke up today, I thought it would be O.K. I rode 100+ miles the last two Sundays, so what's another 70 mile day?!

Well, after my swim, I was chatting with a couple triathlete friends, and I was reminded (by myself) of the importance of rest/tapering. OK, so I don't think riding 70 or 50 miles would be the best idea in the world for me at this time. Maybe I should just do my own thing--1200 recovery swim and 90 minute bike. Boring, but I guess I should follow the plan. After all, I don't want all the training I've done over the last gazillion months to be for nothing and I end up overtrained, fatigued, and not rested for Louisville.

But then, when I was leaving the locker room, I met one of the cyclists from the group. She had this great idea of me starting out with them, and then just heading back on my own. I was afraid I might get lost, but she assured me no, I'd find my way just fine.

So that's the plan. Ride about an hour with the group, head back, then go to the pool and do my swim. I just have to be sure not to ride too far. I'm hoping my friends help encourage me to turn around when I need to! After all, what are friends for?

Next week I get to ride 3 hours on Saturday. Hopefully we can meet up again for a longer ride.

Looks like the weather is going to be nice here again this weekend. Hope it's nice where you are. Have a great weekend. Good luck to everyone racing.

Until next time--God bless!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad you're getting in the recovery, your body needs it. And it sounds like you're having fun to boot!

IronWaddler said...

You were riding with a great group! It is hard to know when to stop!