Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th!

Today was a fun day. Dad took Peanut to the Hinsdale 4th of July parade. Her gymnastic team was marching in the parade. They had a good turnout and great weather!

I had a great ride at the JBC 4th of July ride. Perfect weather (a little windy on the way back)! Cool to start out, beautiful to finish. I saw a few friends at the start, but ended up riding by myself.

About two miles into the ride, I saw someone was on my wheel. When I commented "Hey, someone's behind me", he said, "It's OK. I'm just enjoying the ride back here." We rode together to the first rest stop--18 miles. He was a really nice guy, born in Scotland, lives in Darien. He gave me more info about the IM Canal path. I hope to try it out next week. We talked most of the way, or should I say I talked most of the way! We split up, and I didn't see him again.

I rode the rest of the ride solo--which is really my preference. Racing is solo, and I've always trained that way, so I enjoy it. I did get several men drafting me for a while. They like to tuck behind me, then when I slow for a stop sign, etc., they race by me. Ha! I usually end of passing them again anyway. Some guys have such HUGE egos.

Total ride distance was 62 plus miles, total time 4:00 hours, total ride time 3:30. Average speed 17.5 to 18.5 mph. AHR 130; MHR 154; zone 3; 2,044 calories.

As I sit here typing, I'm listening to all the fireworks being shot off in my neighborhood. One of my biggest pet peeves. This will go on well past midnight, I won't be able to get to sleep until late, and it makes me crazy that the police can/will do nothing!

This is a sad time for our family. We lost Filly, our Siberian Husky of 14 years the beginning of July, 2006. She was really sick for a couple years. I remember how much the fireworks scared her, so I'm glad she's not here to hear all the noise. Someday I'll post a picture of her, when I figure out how to do it!

So, hope you all had a great fourth! Until next time--God bless!

No comments: